2016年5月2日星期一

Guangzhou Fuda Cancer Hospital helped me realize my three wishes

In the afternoon of April 19, 2016, room 516, Fuda Cancer Hospital Tianhe Branch was very lively with birthday song and laughter coming out. April 19 marks Mr. Zhong’s 62th birthday and also Mrs. Zhong’s lunar birthday. The birthday is particularly meaningful as this is the first time for them to celebrate an overlapped birthday over the past 40 years and more. Nurses of the 5th ward prepared a cake for the couple, planning to give them a special surprise. When the cake was served in front of them, the couple’s faces were full of surprise, touch and appreciation. They have never thought they would celebrate such a warm and unforgettable birthday in the hospital.

After receiving comprehensive treatments at FUDA, Mr. Zhong has had improved condition. The birthday also marks a new beginning for him. Director Xu Jiongyuan, attending physician Shi Hongxia, resident doctor Zhan Si, head nurse Zhan Xiao all presented to wish him a very happy birthday. With a happy smile, Mr. Zhong put his palms together devoutly and made his birthday wish. He said, “I would like to thank you for your comprehensive treatment and thoughtful care, without which I wouldn’t be able to recover so well. I also have had my three wishes come true at FUDA as I am able to drink, eat and have a shower. ”


Mr. Zhong celebrated his birthday in the ward

Mrs. Zhong told us that she and her husband are both retirees from a large-scale tramway company in Guangzhou. They have supported each other for 40 years since their marriage. In 2014, Mr. Zhong retired from the company that he had served for several decades. He had planned to enjoy his retirement and travel around with his wife and daughter. Unfortunately, Mr. Zhong started to have frequent abdominal pain in September last year. As he has had a medical history of gallstone for more than 20 years, he had thought it was the gallstone that had caused abdominal pain. He took anti-inflammatory drug for gallstone but the pain showed no remission. In the end, his abdomen was so painful that he couldn’t take it anymore. He went for physical examination at a local hospital with his wife. The physical examination came out. The doctor told his wife that Mr. Zhong was suspected to be suffering from pancreatic cancer and he was advised to do further examination at a major hospital. “The diagnosis was like a thunderbolt out of a clear sky. The world seemed to have collapsed around me. But I have to hold in and hide the diagnosis from him. I’m afraid the diagnosis may knock him down.”Mrs. Zhong noted. After learning the diagnosis, Mr. Zhong’s son-in-law contacted a major hospital at once.

In late November, 2015, Mr. Zhong was admitted into the major hospital. After he completed relevant examinations, doctors told his family that conventional operation was not an option and NanoKnife was the only way out. Soon, Mr. Zhong underwent NanoKnife in the hospital. Postoperative pathological result showed B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the pancreas. He also underwent percutaneous transhepatic cholangial drainage after NanoKnife.

However, the procedure was not successful. Mr. Zhong couldn’t eat or sleep due to abdominal pain and abdominal distension half a month after the procedure. “I was in so much pain and disappointed. All I want was to be able to have a sip of water, eat a bowel of porridge, have a shower and have a good sleep. These have been my best wishes since my operation three months ago. ”.

Mrs. Zhong recalled tearfully, “He couldn’t eat or sleep and could only cuddle up for one or two hours. Many of his wardmates asked in curiosity, “Why he cannot sleep on his back?”Mrs. Zhong wiped off her tears and continued, “Since his illness, he has lost his weight from 60 kg to 44.5 kg. Seeing him in so much pain, we began looking for other hospitals to see if there is any treatment available that could alleviate his symptoms. I’m ready to spend all our savings as long as he could get healed.”

“It is my elder sister who recommended us to have a try at Fuda Cancer Hospital. She lives nearby and was told that FUDA has been very good in treating cancer.”Mrs. Zhong saw a glimmer of hope.

The morning of February 20, 2016 was the set time for Xu Kecheng, President of Fuda Cancer Hospital, to hold free consultation for cancer patients. Mrs. Zhong came to FUDA very early that day and she was really anxious while waiting to see President Xu. She made an uttermost effort to calm herself down. “I had a mixed feeling that day, wondering how President Xu would comment on my husband’s condition.”After studied Mr. Zhong’s medical report, President Xu said, “We are relieved to see that the tumor is localized at the head of pancreas. We will try our best to treat your husband.”

After consulting President Xu, Mrs. Zhong felt much relieved. In the evening of February 20, Mr. Zhong went through admission procedure at FUDA. What President Xu said aroused his will to fight against cancer. Mr. Zhong said, “I have long been tortured by the disease. It is with President Xu’s encouragement that I have the confidence to fight against cancer. I will hold what President Xu said close to my heart. I would like to express my appreciation to doctors and nurses at FUDA for their patience and care shown to me. ”

After receiving treatment at FUDA, Mr. Zhong’s symptoms have been greatly alleviated. The attending doctor Shi Hongxia performed peritoneal drainage and pleuracentesis for him. Moreover, Mr. Zhong underwent DC-CIK immunotherapy, interventional chemotherapy and molecular targeted therapy. After the current phase of treatment, Mr. Zhong felt “my intestines are working and I can eat porridge now.”

“Chief President Xu Kecheng and President Niu Lizhi come to visit me not long after my admission. They encouraged me to be confident in the face of cancer. My attending physician Shi Hongxia has always been patient and careful in explaining to me the upcoming procedure.” Mr. Zhong said with a smile. He said with a relived smile that he couldn’t able to have such a good recovery without the treatment at Fuda Cancer Hospital.

Zhan Xiao, head nurse of 5th ward, said, “It pains us to see that Mr. Zhong had three drainage tubes on his body upon admission. Seeing him in such pain, our nurses spent over half an hour cleaning tubes for him and helped Mrs. Zhong wash Mr. Zhong. We felt really relieved to see that Mr. Zhong is improving day by day.”

Mr. Zhong signed, “I underwent untold suffering from the disease before I came to Fuda Cancer Hospital. I haven’t had a shower for three months. I really wanted to have a shower to make myself feel better. It was even a luxury for me to have a shower before my admission. However, medical staffs at FUDA has not only realized my wish of having a shower but also made me able to eat and walk. For me, that can be said to be the biggest happiness.”

Mrs. Zhong further added, “The generous help and care from doctors, nurses and caregivers have made me feel warmly welcome. We are very satisfied with their elaborate service.”

In the afternoon of April 13, when Prof. Xu Kecheng, Dr. Niu Lizhi and other doctors were making routine rounds, Prof. Xu said to Mr. Zhong, “Congratulations! You have had a very good recovery. You can be discharged soon.”Mr. Zhong expressed his joy effusively while shaking hands with the two presidents.


没有评论:

发表评论